The Boat
The Route
Ship's Logs
Sea Stories
Contact Us!
Photo Gallery


Photo Gallery - November 2004 

Pictures can be clicked to see a large version of the image.


Jonah and Kate built this volcano out of Playbough and Jonah is about to "light it". 








The caldera is filled with baking soda and Jonah is now adding the vinegar (kids, don't try this at home without adult supervision).








Sunset at Majuro.








The view from our mooring in Majuro of the Uliga Dock, commercial wharf. Rust ships are always tied up there and occasionally a really nice one too (like the one which delivers fuel).








The S/V Seal, our neighbors  and longtime Majuro resident. Cary and Karen of Seal helped make our time in Majuro and in the Marshalls what it was.








The S/V Ultimate from the Netherlands. Tom and Techla sailed into Majuro just a week or so before we left. But, we expect to see them again soon as their route will take them to many of the same islands in the FSM as we are planning to visit. 







The beautiful islet of Anemwanot situated about 5 miles from the town in Majuro lagoon is an oasis of relaxation and beauty.








Though on this day that peace is shattered by the screaming hoard on "True Blue" the runabout and plaything of the Australian Navy contingent on Majuro.







Hey! Is that Kate on that thing? 








Jonah doing his bit to help out by hanging the laundry to dry on the lifelines. 










A boat which sunk at its mooring overnight in front of the Outrigger Hotel (now known as the Marshall Islands Resort - catchy name, huh?). 








The boat is owned by a church and was donated by a benefactor in the US. It had been in Majuro only 3 months. 








A crowd of guys in snorkel gear are trying to float it with empty barrels and then push and pull it ashore. In the end a floating crane was brought in to lift the soggy wooden boat. It will certainly be a total loss. 







On the passage to Pohnape, we wore our foul weather gear most of the time. 








The highpoint of the passage, occurring on day 3 or so (before the big storm hit) was a whale sighting. Kate spotted it first. It had apparently been swimming behind us, following us, for some time. The whale broke the surface several times, as in this photo which is the best we could do. He even gave us a look at his flukes once when he flicked his tail. We think it was a humpback.






Finally, after a harrowing 36 hours where we were slammed with 35-45k winds and huge seas (thankfully from behind) we spotted Pohnape in the distance.








Having blown out our mainsail, with the wind having moderated to about 30k, we unrolled part of the jib and rolled up the staysail. We were closing in on Pohnape at 7 or 8 knots. Our useless mainsail sits limply on the boom.







Though we have no photos taken during the storm, we did take some photos of the sea on the morning we approached Pohnape. The waves were much diminished from the night before, but are still large. 








Unfortunately, you just can't get the perspective in a photo, at least not with the camera we have.








The yacht basin at Pohnape, tucked deep into the bay, surrounded on 3 sides by moutnains, the basin is very well protected.








Looking South, the Oceanview Hotel can be seen at the top of the hill. The dinghy landing is at the bottom of the hill - the climb to the main road is a daily chore but we are glad to have hills around us after so long in flat country.







Since the water in the basin is very brown and silty, we are trying to not use our watermaker as the filters clog very quickly. We rigged a tarp as a rain catcher on the bow. You wouldn't know it from this photo, but it rains every day here, usually every few hours. In between, the sun comes out and bright sunshine rules. 






The S/V Lenore, registered in Jersey, England, owned by an American and just completed  in New Zealand this year. Lenore came up from NZ via New Caledonia and Papua New Guinea. She is 80ft in length and has a crew of 2 (mate and cook). The owner, whom we have not met yet as he is back in the US, is the skipper.






Gordon, whose boat name I can never remember, has been in Pohnape for a year or two. His wife and child are back in the Phillipines visiting family.








Steven and Valere from the S/V Cosmic Muffin. Steve has been in Pohnape for 3 years working and cruising. Valere is a former Peace Corps worker who was stationed here. They plan to sail back to the US via Marshall Islands and Hawaii.







Jonah in his home-made monster costume.