September 9, 2004

The last thing I wrote in these pages was that we would try to write more often! Hah, what a joke. That was 11 days ago. In my defense, I can only say that we have not been doing very much that would interest most readers and we have been very busy doing it. To start - when we returned back to the boat after our 5 week visit to the US - we had much unpacking to do, not only of our luggage but of the many, many boxes we had shipped home with new purchases.

Then there were a series of repairs on things which we were waiting for parts on, including our generator which is now running smoothly (knock on wood). Then there was the never-ending trips ashore to bring back huge quantities of provisions including meat, canned goods, rice and flour, vegetables, etc. To slow us down even more we had to contend with several days of boisterous Westerly winds (not the prevailing direction) which put us on a lee shore in 3-4ft seas. On a mooring.

We did find time to visit with friends ashore (Allison and Paul, Commander of the Australian Navy's contingent on Majuro) and catch up with friends on other boats whom. And we celebrated Kate's birthday with takeout Chinese (when we do "takeout" here it is strictly a Maritime operation - the Chinese restaurant is located on the main wharf and I rush it back to the boat in the dinghy trying to keep it from spilling or getting soaked in the rough seas that day).

Finally we came to September 7th and we were ready to leave Majuro, except, the new camera we ordered to replace the one which broke (while we were in the US) has not come. We have not been without a camera since Day 1 of life on the Queen Jane and we feel quite odd. We have absolutely zero photos for the month of August because the camera seems to have destroyed/reformatted the disk that was in it when it broke. We do have photos for July which will not be posted until mid-October however. As for September, it is a third gone and we have no camera.

Rather then sit in Majuro, we came out to Anemwanot on the 7th. It is wonderful here. Its always hard to believe that we are only 5 miles away from the town (with its 20,000 population). There is an occasional group who come by to picnic on the beach or snorkelers from the hotel in town, but they leave after a few hours. So we pretty much have the place to ourselves. Windrunner is coming out later today they say. Jeanette from Dancer will alert me by radio if (when?) the camera shows up and I can zip back there to get it in the dinghy (it is only 5 miles).

Our plan was to leave for Wojte today or tomorrow, but Kate got sick with the crud (coughing, aching, etc.) so we are sitting tight here and we are working on the brightwork (which we have not done in a year). This basically means lots of work and Kate was much too ambitious about what she could do. Kate did the sanding and scuffing to get the surface ready and then washed it all done and I taped. Taping is where you use masking tape to surround the woodwork you are going to varnish so you don't get it on any adjacent surfaces.

We don't actually use varnish, but it is a term we use anyway because it best describes the activity. We use Cetol by Sikkens, a non-varnish wood treatment good for teak in the tropics and easier to use then varnish. This morning Kate put on the first coat and was exhausted and hacking by the time she finished. Oh, we are only doing the starboard (right) side cap rail, and rub rail. The first is the piece of wood which stretches from bow to stern along the side of the deck, the second is a continuous piece of wood which stretches from bow to stern along the side of the hull - it has a metal strip over the wood to protect the wood, the whole thing being designed to protect the side of the hull from bumps and scratches. The coating has deteriorated badly and many spots had to be taken down to bare wood. A minimum of 4 or 5 coats are needed on those areas and 3 coats for the rest (we will do touch ups on light spots in between coats).

The rest of the boat's exterior woodwork also is scheduled for treatment, needs 2 to 3 coats and we will do it a bit at a time over the next 2 months. Coming next is the port side toe rail and rub rail, the bow platform and bow trim, the stern and stern trim, 5 hatches, 4 dorade boxes (vent boxes on deck which allow air in but not water) and 6 hand rails (3 on each side of the deck). There are also a half dozen to 10 miscellaneous items of wooden trim on deck in various spots which also need a coat or two.