August 7, 2005

As of today we have been out of the water for eleven days so far. 
Originally we had pessimistically budgeted 30 days on the hard, but when 
we did the final planning we thought it would be realistic to shoot for 
3 weeks. So we are about halfway through that time-budget. I think we 
will be done only slightly sooner then 3 weeks. 

As for the work, we are having mixed results productivity wise. But 
based on milestones we are on track and each sub-project is moving along 
nicely. We are waiting for engine mounts to arrive from the US. We 
couldn’t find suitable ones here in Australia though we did find a 
variety of mounts which would have been acceptable and we found we could 
order them in the US, get the exact same ones as we have now, and end up 
spending about $150 dollars less for the parts, even after the high cost 
of shipping them here. 

Once the mounts come in the mechanics can install them and then 
re-install the shaft and stuffing box, align the engine and re-install 
the exhaust pipe/mixer (which we removed to have a slightly leaking weld 
redone). Then they have to re-install the gear control valve which they 
removed from the transmission the first day. The kid broke it trying to 
re-install it and they are supposedly getting a new part to replace it 
(their cost of course). That will conclude the mechanical work needed on 
the boat.

Re-painting the boot stripe has also turned out to be a major 
undertaking. I should have realized it before we started. First had 
someone sand off all the old damaged paint. That took about 14 
man-hours. Friday Kate and I wrapped the boat in plastic sheeting and 
they sprayed the primer coat . Tomorrow (Monday) they are supposed to 
sand it, then Kate and I have to re-wrap the boat in plastic since much 
of it ripped off over the weekend when the wind blew (its not very heavy 
plastic). Then they spray the blue stripe in the afternoon. 

Then on Tuesday we remove all the tape and plastic wrap and let the 
paint dry. On Wednesday we have to tape up the boat again, this time 
including the newly-painted boot-stripe so they can spray a coat of 
primer on the bottom (different primer then they sprayed on the boot 
stripe, that was epoxy. This is some kind of paint which allows the 
bottom paint to adhere to the epoxy which went on after the blisters 
were patched – I haven’t mentioned that in this journal entry so far. We 
had someone grind out and fill 300 or so of the worst blisters leaving 
only 1 or 2 thousand more to grow so we have something to do next time. 

That leaves us ready to put on our first coat of bottom paint 
(anti-fouling) on Thursday morning. To save money, Kate and I are going 
to roll it on ourselves. We’ve never done it but have seen loads of 
people in yards over the years doing it. We already have rollers and 
paint trays donated by an English chap who just finished painting his 
boat’s bottom. The paint itself is phenomenally expensive at about 
$148/gallon (A$200/4Liters) and we need 7 gallons. 

On Friday we roll on the second coat and on Saturday whatever paint is 
left we slap on along the waterline and on the leading edges of the 
hull, rudder, skeg, etc. Then we wait for Monday to go in the water.